By Health Shield | Posted 30th January 2018 | Blog
Happy employees mean productivity and engagement but encouraging happiness amongst your employees is not always an easy task. One of the most important things as an employer you need to monitor is the health and wellbeing of your employees.
With a calm and concentrated mind your employees can achieve so much more. Brilliant things can happen when employees are satisfied in their job and dealing with stressors successfully. By supporting your employees, you will notice a difference in their productivity, their resilience and their creativity. Not to mention your absenteeism rates.
The question on many employer’s minds though is ‘how do I do that?’. It’s a hot topic at the moment, and there are a lot of theories, including the use of mindfulness.
There is no better time than now to start reaching out to your employees before any disrupted feelings escalate – help them to stay motivated and engaged with their job, whilst taking care of their mental health as well. Many will be feeling anxious about returning to work following Christmas and may find this means they are struggling to sleep. Anxiety affects more than 7 million people and it’s been proven that meditation and mindfulness help improve this. Provide them with the opportunity to take time away from their desks and encourage them to take a break, perhaps to practice their own mindfulness.
Many employees in a digital age can find themselves working more than 50 hours a week and this greatly effects their stress levels, sleep levels, ability to focus and chance of making mistakes. Inspire them with your own actions, talk to them about switching off when they get home and taking some time for themselves. Set an example with your own work life balance. Checking emails whilst out with family, or walking the dog, is still working. Your workforce needs to be encouraged to set boundaries and know when they need to switch off. The more your employees look after themselves the fewer working days your company will lose.
Some top tips to help you engage with your employees:
- Start with the small things and work up – something as simple as providing a healthy breakfast before the working day can make a big difference and you’ll soon see that by giving your employees a little bit of help and guidance will result in improvements in the workplace.
- Reward and recognise your employee’s achievements – this will positively impact their mental health and mood in the workplace. Only 41% of workers say they are currently receiving feedback on their performance up to twice a year, engaging more means improved productivity and reduced absenteeism.
- Providing the option for a health screen can put people’s minds at rest if they are worried about their health or a niggling problem. These can now be completed with Health Shield in as little as 30 minutes and within the workplace. They will also aid your absenteeism rates.
- Exercise is another opportunity for you to improve your employee’s wellness. Providing them with the opportunity to partake in exercise around their working hours will help your employee’s with their sleep pattern, concentration and motivation. Regular release of endorphins and serotonin – the happy hormones, will bring down your employee’s stress levels and improve their overall health and wellbeing.
- Steady the mind – in stressful times it bounces all over the place. Help them keep focused on their task at hand.
- Be compassionate. It is good to have a friendship with your employees, but remember that you still need to keep a distance that allows you to help them in all areas they require.
Health Shield will be holding a roundtable event on The Value of Health. How Employee Wellbeing drives engagement and performance now at the Employee Benefits Connect Event in London on 28th February. We will also be exhibiting at the event if you are attending be sure to come and speak to our team.